Mozilla Firefox update scam.

Started by spidy, January 29, 2018, 05:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spidy

https://sensorstechforum.com/
https://sensorstechforum.com/firefox-requires-manual-update-scam-message-remove/

A new web page, claiming to be update for the latest version of Mozilla Firefox (57.0) has been reported to harass online users. Once the scam pop-ups in the browser it asks targets to authenticate themselves by typing a username and a password. The scam may obtain the entered login details. Even though, the pop-up provides a CANCEL button, a click on it triggers another notification window that urges users to add suspicious browser add-on to Firefox. More details that will help you to recognize "Firefox requires a manual update" scam message find here >

NoviceSupportiveHosting

this is partly why I use Linux, as how it handle updates I never has to worry about such scams.  

While it still not "bulletproof" as long as you don't download everything you see, open up suspicious emails without flagging it as "spam", and etc a Linux system will likely be able to keep itself from becoming "infested".

spidy

Yes the Linux/Ubuntu OS are very good and the price (free) is excellent!

NoviceSupportiveHosting

Quote from: "spidy, post: 4189, member: 268"Yes the Linux/Ubuntu OS are very good and the price (free) is excellent!

Indeed! Buying my old Window 7 system some time after it took 20 minutes for it and ZoomText to boot up fully. But after replacing with Linux it only takes about a minute or two at most.  

Even though I am now on the new system (I gave my brother the old one) that SSD should keep on kicking for 10 years. :)

spidy

20 minutes seems too long,  I would suspect it is loaded with bloatware.  A good free program to clean it up and speed it up is Ccleaner from Piriform .

Please get it from Piriform as there was a fake one doing the rounds. I have used it for many years and it is a great program .

NoviceSupportiveHosting

Quote from: "spidy, post: 4194, member: 268"20 minutes seems too long, I would suspect it is loaded with bloatware. A good free program to clean it up and speed it up is Ccleaner from Piriform .

Actually the tech who provided me the system since it was a special order did clean it somewhat but it is true that Lenovo isn't the "best known" brand for doing questionable things.  

Either way I am glad that old system still have usable life left now that the disk was cleaned enough of whatever was the cause. Plus to boot I don't need to shell out ~$400/license just to see and use my computers. Given that most Ubuntu (and certain other Linux flavors) ships with accessibly features. :)