Apache or Ngnix

Started by Allan, January 08, 2014, 08:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

I setting up a vps and was wondering which is actually better. Apache is proven but Ngnix is fast.

Allan

After reading everywhere I could I think Ngnix is what I will go with.

Sam

Our shared server is equipped with cPNginx. I think the graph at the bottom of the page explains why Nginx is such a popular webserver: http://cpnginx.com/.
[align=left]holderhost.com:frantic:
USA Cloud SSD cPanel Hosting • Affordable. Reliable. Fast.
Shared • Reseller • VPS Solutions
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

Allan

I have heard of them before, will have to check them out.

Jordan Smith

We use Ngnix for our SaaS Frontend Servers I will never switch back to Apache, Our SaaS application is quite big so Ngnix does a neat job of getting it served fast!
BillingServ.com - Online Billing Platform
Sell cPanel Hosting | Plesk Hosting | Domain Names | SSL Certs
BillingServ is a complete online ordering and invoicing service making transactions and sales simple.

Allan

I heard Ngnix is a lot faster but Apache has a more users and tools.

Jordan Smith

Apache is better for shared hosting and having tools, but with the great support team at RackSpace I wouldn't change back to apache in a hurry!
BillingServ is a complete online ordering and invoicing service making transactions and sales simple.

Allan

In time though Nginx will build up to be that way as well, I think they are still fairly new on market.

Jordan Smith

Yep, the only thing I hate about ngnix is that you can't use htaccess files which is highly annoying!

Allan

I agree, I think many have come to depend on the htaccess as a normal part of their sites.

Jordan Smith

Yep, having to covert the htaccess into something ngnix can read and then go deep into the ngnix config files to add in the converted lines is a pain in the arse!

Alex - Arvixe

Quote from: "Allan, post: 971, member: 1"In time though Nginx will build up to be that way as well, I think they are still fairly new on market.

If I recall correctly development began in 2002 with a release a couple years later on. Apache is a process based server with Nginx being event based and that is the key difference.

Jordan Smith

The only thing I find annoying about Ngnix is that it doesn't support true htaccess so you have to convert it to something it can read which is the only annoying thing. Apart from that I wouldn't be in a hurry to switch back to apache!