SSD or HDD

Started by Allan, July 25, 2015, 01:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

I have to agree, as long as large SSD drives stay costly, HDD will be around for along time.

NoviceSupportiveHosting

Quote from: "Allan, post: 4100, member: 1"I have to agree, as long as large SSD drives stay costly, HDD will be around for along time.

You'd also has to not just consider pricing but also reliably as well. So even if a large SSD were to be cheap I would also need to know if it equal/exceed the reliably of a similarly sized and priced HDD.

spidy

A good point. Theoretically if made to a decent standard a SSD should be more reliable than a HDD.
This is because of a basic fact of engineering in that the HDD has a motor and mechanical systems inside so could potentially be prone to mechanical failure,  whereas the SSD has electronic parts so could potentially be more reliable.

My experience has been that the SSD runs cooler so this could have an effect as well.

jacobwallace

SSD
-------
    Good option for mobile users
    advanced performance
    Durability
    Lightweight than hard drives

HDD
------
   The files can be stored depending on the storage space. More space more data can be       saved.
   Read and write speed depends on rpms.

In my opinion ssd is best in terms of
Architecture
Components
Speed
Storage Capacity

Allan

You make a great comparison on the difference. I like SSD better myself.

andysimi

i would prefer SSD

rn-bryan

The speed of SSD over traditional platter hard drives is just amazing.

I would use SSD for pretty much everything now if I could afford it.

It still makes sense to me to store huge files and backups on traditional hard drives due to the price point per GB.

MesaHost.com - Shared cPanel Website Hosting with Dedicated Storage Space.
ChaosVoid.com - Get a Free Website. Get YourDomain.ChaosVoid.com today!

spidy

Yes I think that as the size increases and the price of SSD's decreases then it is possible that mechanical HDD will become obsolete.

rn-bryan

Platter / Mechanical hard drives are definitely going to become obsolete! Same as the tape drives.

NoviceSupportiveHosting

Quote from: "rn-bryan, post: 4477, member: 152"Platter / Mechanical hard drives are definitely going to become obsolete! Same as the tape drives.

Actually Tape drives are here to stay for their insanity cheap per GB pricing of long term cold storage. Plus since they don't spin up 24/7 they are probably the last to fail as well. So unless SSDs beat them at both departments, I don't think they are hitting the fans just yet.

rn-bryan

I really don't see tape drives being used except in special case scenarios, obsolete.

NoviceSupportiveHosting

Quote from: "rn-bryan, post: 4482, member: 152"I really don't see tape drives being used except in special case scenarios, obsolete.

They are in fact used for large long term cold storage as I mentioned.

rn-bryan

"long term cold storage"... special case scenarios. as I mentioned.

David Smith

SSD (Solid State Drive) is generally faster and more reliable than HDD (Hard Disk Drive). While HDDs have higher storage capacity and are typically less expensive than SSDs, SSDs provide a better performance, faster read/write speeds, and are less prone to mechanical failure. Ultimately, the choice between SSD and HDD depends on your needs and budget. If you need fast and reliable storage and can afford the higher cost, SSD is the way to go. If you need high storage capacity at a lower cost, HDD may be a better option.