SSD or HDD

Started by Allan, July 25, 2015, 01:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Which do you prefer to use?

I personally think that most are going to go with SSD. I prefer the SSD but the HDD doesn't bother me.

spidy

In the terms of the advances in technology the Mechanical hard drive is a dinosaur. While most things in a PC are electronic the mechanical platter type hard drive can be a bottleneck.

As SSD's start to come down in price I think it will sound the death knell for the mechanical  HDD.

RadWebHosting

We invested in SAS drives when we were building our VPS cluster, because the prices were unbeatable. While they are spinning disks, they offer similar performance  in terms of I/O to the Samsung 840 SSDs (which we were initially considering, when planning). With the SAS drives we were able secure greater GB/$ and performance is impressive. The low-cost SAS storage put us in a position to reallocate the leftover storage budget to upgraded processors and maximum RAM. When configured with RAID 10 controller, the drives can hold their own against Samsung EVO SSD, though the Pro Series of Samsung SSD is noticeably faster.

Note: We received discounted incentive pricing from our vendor for the SAS drives due to the market's focus on low-end, high-capacity SATA and high-end, performance-driven SSD. If it were not for the special offer, we would not have considered using SAS.
RAD WEB HOSTING - CloudLinux cPanel Hosting - Domains Reseller
Clearance Dedicated Servers - 24/7 Technical Support - Master Reseller Hosting
500Gbps DDoS Protection
- Premium Hardware & Network - KVM VPS Servers

spidy

At the time it sounds economically right for you.  I do feel that the mechanical hard drives are on the way out.

As SSD's comes down in price and have increases in capacity I think the mechanical HDD will fade away.

These days having a mechanical device trying to keep up with electronic speeds is not the way of the future.

SenseiSteve

HDD still has a way to go before being phased out, especially very large capacity drives, but I do agree SSD is the wave of the future.
ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

spidy

Yes I agree it seems that the large capacity HDD's will be around for a while.  

If they can produce very large SSD drives at a REASONABLE price then I feel the whole scene will change.

unixguru

We find on our machines with 128GB of RAM, where most things are cached in memory, SSD has very little performance gain over HDD, except for the first few minutes after a reboot.
We have found that SSD makes a greater difference for databases than it does for /home.
??  DDoS Protected,  LiteSpeed + LiteMage on CloudLinux with SSD Disks, R1Soft, Softaculous, SIteBuilder, BitNinja, LetsEncypt & Patchman
?? UnixGuru: Accounts with 1-16 CPU Cores, 2-32GB RAM. Why use a VPS?
?? Choose from Shared,  Reseller and Elastic-Sites Hosting

spidy

Thanks for your post.  I think that if a HDD was a possible bottleneck for the transfer of data a SSD would make a noticeable difference.

With the speed of modern computers a bottleneck from a mechanical device could be noticed.

unixguru

It all depends on what you are doing.
I find that most often CPU becomes the bottleneck on shared hosting before either disk comes into play.
??  DDoS Protected,  LiteSpeed + LiteMage on CloudLinux with SSD Disks, R1Soft, Softaculous, SIteBuilder, BitNinja, LetsEncypt & Patchman
?? UnixGuru: Accounts with 1-16 CPU Cores, 2-32GB RAM. Why use a VPS?
?? Choose from Shared,  Reseller and Elastic-Sites Hosting

robert4u

I prefer SSD, it is atleast 20 times faster and future is SSD
Hostter - www.hostter.com
Serving for years now! Bitcoin Accepted
Bitcoin VPS | Bitcoin Hosting

spidy

robert4u

Quote from: "spidy, post: 3721, member: 268"It seem,s that intels new offering 3D XPoint will be re writing the speed of SSD's .

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/20/15375828/intel-optane-3d-xpoint-ssd-reviews

Wow its very fast but its pretty expensive $1520, I am desperate to get that one, will wait for price reduce.
Hostter - www.hostter.com
Serving for years now! Bitcoin Accepted
Bitcoin VPS | Bitcoin Hosting

Dewlance

I use SSD and SSD is much faster than HDD.

I can install cPanel within 25 to 30 minute while HDD take 45 to 60 minute or more.
Purchase Cheap Windows VPS from Dewlance.com & Yearly Hosting in CA/US/UK

spidy

One can assume that with no other limiting factors  involved that an electronic SSD will be faster than a mechanical HDD.

The newer technology involved with 3D xPoint indicates that it will be so much faster than even SDD as we know it.

Once the price drops and motherboards are set up for it then I think it will be very well accepted. Probably start off being used by the gamers at first.

NoviceSupportiveHosting

As someone else mentioned, HDDs are here to stay for larger tasks like backups and such. Of course most providers are now using SSDs as they now becoming more reasonably priced. But when price per GB while retaining some performance HDDs are the way to go.