Shared hosting or VPS

Started by Allan, April 29, 2014, 12:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Which do you think is best to start with?

Sam

If you want to dive into the deep end and learn a lot about linux administration then you need a vps. However most people simply want to put up a blog or forum and potentially make a bit of cash. Shared hosting is perfect for the majority of people.
[align=left]holderhost.com:frantic:
USA Cloud SSD cPanel Hosting • Affordable. Reliable. Fast.
Shared • Reseller • VPS Solutions
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

mesahost

This depends on what you want to do with it, as Sam said. Shared hosting is the easiest for folks starting out with no server administration skills at all. Even with a VPS some hosts will include DirectAdmin or cPanel with the VPS or for a small extra charge, These panels make it easier to manage a VPS and are what most people are use to using when interacting with shared hosting control panels. The VPS will give you the administrative login to those control panels you would never see as a shared hosting customer.

Allan

I do agree that with a VPS you will learn a lot in a fast amount of time. This you don't get with shared hosting, and you are limited to what you can do with the shared hosting. Since it effects the whole server you are on.

Ramkumar

If you are new to hosting industry go with shared hosting, after couple of month you can get vps :)

Allan

That was always my theory as well, start with shared learn the ins and outs an move on.

dan213

Depends what your purpose or plan is for the future. I started out with a shared hosting account but now everything I have and host is sitting on a VPS. It also depends on your knowledge and if you have an unmanaged or managed VPS and know how to run it if it's unmanaged.
Volzost - Shared Hosting Provider

Allan

I think that is a key factor with unmanaged VPS plans is know how to run them.

Alex - Arvixe

In most cases I'd recommend shared hosting to start with unless you have specific requirements not available on a shared platform.

Quote from: "Allan, post: 991, member: 1"I think that is a key factor with unmanaged VPS plans is know how to run them.

I even recommend opting for a fully managed server even if you know how to manage it. After all, it can't really hurt but can always do wonders. Lets say you're away and get an alert on your phone about your server being down, no need to stress simply give you provider a call or if you're stuck with something you can use the expertise provided by your provider.

Allan

This is the reason I would always go with a managed server, just for the reasons you pointed out Alex. The option of being able to call someone when you are not home to get your servers back up is very helpful.

john miller

Both VPS Hosting and Shared Hosting service cannot be compared, but choose one of it totally depends on your requirements and budget.

But, I recommended VPS Hosting service provides much more reliability than a simple shared hosting server.

VPS hosting provides you authority to complete control over your server, giving you the fully flexibility and customization rites if you want.

I would vote for VPS hosting as it is much better than shared hosting but stands after dedicated server hosting

David Smith

Shared hosting and VPS hosting are both types of web hosting that allow you to host a website on a server shared with other websites. However, there are some key differences between the two:

Shared hosting: With shared web hosting, your website shares a server with multiple other websites. This means that the resources of the server (e.g. CPU, RAM, storage) are shared among all the websites on the server. Shared hosting is usually the most affordable option, but it may not be suitable for websites with high traffic or complex requirements.

VPS hosting: With VPS hosting, your website is still hosted on a shared server, but you are allocated a certain amount of dedicated resources. This means that you have your own slice of the server's resources and are less affected by the other websites on the server. VPS hosting is more expensive than shared hosting, but it offers more control and performance.