DirectAdmin

Started by Allan, December 12, 2014, 06:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

I haven't had the chance to use DirectAdmin so was wondering on your thought?

meetdilip

Heard a lot about it, but never tried.

Sam

Love the documentation. We recently became a directadmin partner and get access to their internal pricing. I installed the DA control panel for a client the other day and ran into some issues. Checked through their documentation and found the solution, Easy as. DirectAdmin is also reasonably lightweight as well as feature rich. :)
[align=left]holderhost.com:frantic:
USA Cloud SSD cPanel Hosting • Affordable. Reliable. Fast.
Shared • Reseller • VPS Solutions
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

Allan

Something I also wanted to check and use just for experience. What issues did you run into on the install?

Sam

Quote from: "Allan, post: 1706, member: 1"Something I also wanted to check and use just for experience. What issues did you run into on the install?

Incorrect ethernet_dev set in the /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf file. <-- Should've followed the install guide more carefully.

:)
[align=left]holderhost.com:frantic:
USA Cloud SSD cPanel Hosting • Affordable. Reliable. Fast.
Shared • Reseller • VPS Solutions
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

Allan

There has been many times I haven't followed install instructions and had to start over.

Jordan Smith

Theres quite a few times I've destroyed a server because I didn't follow the installation correctly. Got bored of reading them and then just reinstalled the OS and then started again!

I thought I would of learnt by now but no!
BillingServ.com - Online Billing Platform
Sell cPanel Hosting | Plesk Hosting | Domain Names | SSL Certs
BillingServ is a complete online ordering and invoicing service making transactions and sales simple.

Allan

Re-installing the OS is something I have gotten good at :thumbsup:

rn-bryan

I like DirectAdmin but I prefer cpanel as a domain control panel.

DirectAdmin seems a bit behind the times on many things;  requiring you to do a lot of things manually for the initial setup. One example is a built in jailed ssh/sftp login for domain owners. It has been "discontinued" in DirectAdmin as far as I can tell, re: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=90

MesaHost.com - Shared cPanel Website Hosting with Dedicated Storage Space.
ChaosVoid.com - Get a Free Website. Get YourDomain.ChaosVoid.com today!

unixguru

DirectAdmin is awesome. Granted it's jail/shell is tricky, but no-one uses that now that CloudLinux CageFS is available.
DirectAdmin is very flexible in the way it can be made to do things differently.
For instance, our NGINX -> Varnish -> LiteSpeed hosting stack was quite easy to implement without 3rd party plugins (or Licenses to pay).

(DirectAdmin now supports NGINX as a proxy for Apache/LiteSpeed out of the box, and now supports Comodo WAF either on the perimeter NGINX or at the Apache/LiteSpeed end, out of the box).

Their spam fighting has recently improved as well.
??  DDoS Protected,  LiteSpeed + LiteMage on CloudLinux with SSD Disks, R1Soft, Softaculous, SIteBuilder, BitNinja, LetsEncypt & Patchman
?? UnixGuru: Accounts with 1-16 CPU Cores, 2-32GB RAM. Why use a VPS?
?? Choose from Shared,  Reseller and Elastic-Sites Hosting

Allan

Something I will have to look into, I have always wanted to try it.

Liam

DA is good for clients new to the hosting industry, but I'd still prefer how cPanel handles virtual host management, and their interface isn't ugly. If I'm new to something I'd be happy to see some icons here and there, I don't want to be bothered reading text with no icons to distinguish which is which.

Sidenote: My first post, yay. :D

Allan

I tend to agree with more icon and less text.

unixguru

As with CPanel, there are a number of great skins for DirectAdmin. We use Darwin Skin (http://www.custombuild.eu/darwin/) at just 24 Euros for a lifetime license it's a great bargain.
Written by the guy who does all the custombuild functionality, it comes with automatic updates to work with any new features.
??  DDoS Protected,  LiteSpeed + LiteMage on CloudLinux with SSD Disks, R1Soft, Softaculous, SIteBuilder, BitNinja, LetsEncypt & Patchman
?? UnixGuru: Accounts with 1-16 CPU Cores, 2-32GB RAM. Why use a VPS?
?? Choose from Shared,  Reseller and Elastic-Sites Hosting